An Inquiry to Dr. John C. Fyffe...

General discussions concerning institutions and degree programs.

Postby PatsFan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Dr. Fyffe,

I just wanted to thank you for being so candid. Students in general spend a great deal of money to further their education. They should know what they are getting themselves into when there are issues such as you describe. I'm sure your expertise in higher education will be a valuable addition to this board. Blessings.

Tom
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby RobbCD » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:This all sounds like a most unholy pissin' match to me.... How's that for a "God-honoring" contribution?

Seriously.... I, for the life of me, cannot understand why religious students keep experimenting around with these marginal institutions that, to make matters worse, apparently have serious ethical issues as well. Hardly a place where I'd want my doctor of divinity or DMin from, or whatever....! And, why is it that the Pentacostals seem to have more of these ethical issues than any other branch of Christianity - not counting the Pope, Opus Dei, and priestly man-boy-love arrangements of course.....?

My advice - go to a Lutheran Seminary - we don't have these issues..... ;)

I would have thought Lutheran's far too conservative for distance learning. Are there any DL Lutheran Seminaries?
RobbCD

Postby uncle janko » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:45 pm

There's Faith Seminary in Tacoma, Washington.
This prescinds from the question of the authenticity of its Lutheranism.
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Postby uncle janko » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:48 pm

A belated welcome aboard to John Fyffe! I appreciate your candour about an institution of which I have been deeply sceptical over the years. It's good to have your participation here. Best wishes to you.

Janko the Mad Priest, SRA, BA, MDiv, MA
Doing good, doing well, raising hope and raising hell. Janko Shave.
"Airplane music? Just like music for big bees, only louder."--Arnold Schoenberg
uncle janko

Skepticism

Postby TheoloM » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:10 pm

[/b]

Uncle Janko,

You stated in a previous post of your skepticism related to Trinity. Currently, I am a student there, but the recent
revelation of improprieties( ethical issues) greatly concern me. In fact, I am considering dropping out of the program
because of this. What problems with the school have you been aware of over the years? Your help in this matter is
greatly appreciated.

TheoloM
B.A. East Coast Bible College
M.A. Church of God Theological Seminary
TheoloM

Postby Poimen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:And, why is it that the Pentacostals seem to have more of these ethical issues than any other branch of Christianity

Once again, Carl, you tout a position that can't be validated.

First, any graduate of a Lutheran seminary would know how to spell the word "Pentecostal" correctly. :mrgreen:

Second, Trinity IS NOT a Pentecostal institution.

Third, please provide documentation that Pentecostals have "more of these ethical issues than any other branch of Christianity."
Poimen
Poimen

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:06 am

Poimen wrote:
Carl_Reginstein wrote:And, why is it that the Pentacostals seem to have more of these ethical issues than any other branch of Christianity

Once again, Carl, you tout a position that can't be validated.

First, any graduate of a Lutheran seminary would know how to spell the word "Pentecostal" correctly. :mrgreen:

Second, Trinity IS NOT a Pentecostal institution.

Third, please provide documentation that Pentecostals have "more of these ethical issues than any other branch of Christianity."

Mea culpa on the spelling thing.... one of my biggest nits....

Evidence? Evidence????

Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Tammy Fae and that gay husband of hers.... and numerous other blowhards over the years..... Oh yes.... Pat Robertson. That's about all the evidence I need. And, if you choose to split hairs about whether these folks are "true pentEcostals" or not, I can argue back with equal vigor that if nothing else they certainly are household word-level fellow travellers that give the entire extreme fundamentalist Christian movement a huge black eye.... on ethical issues, and ethical issues alone... Well, sexual transgressions too..... and.... well.... being idiots and morons too..... and.... :twisted:
Carl_Reginstein

Postby John Bear » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Well, it's not just Carl. "Pentacostal" gets 395,000 'hits' on Google, compared to 6,990,000 for "Pentecostal." This suggests a hypothesis that it is misspelled 6% of the time.
John Bear

Postby Poimen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:44 pm

John Bear wrote:Well, it's not just Carl. "Pentacostal" gets 395,000 'hits' on Google, compared to 6,990,000 for "Pentecostal." This suggests a hypothesis that it is misspelled 6% of the time.

Could it also suggest a hypothesis that this 6% did not graduate from Lutheran seminaries........... :mrgreen:
Poimen
Poimen

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:56 pm

Poimen wrote:
John Bear wrote:Well, it's not just Carl. "Pentacostal" gets 395,000 'hits' on Google, compared to 6,990,000 for "Pentecostal." This suggests a hypothesis that it is misspelled 6% of the time.

Could it also suggest a hypothesis that this 6% did not graduate from Lutheran seminaries........... :mrgreen:

Most likely..... :D
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Poimen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Carl_Reginstein wrote:Evidence? Evidence????

Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Tammy Fae and that gay husband of hers.... and numerous other blowhards over the years..... Oh yes.... Pat Robertson.

Thanks for the humor, Carl.

Swaggart, the Bakkers and Robertson would be considered Pentecostal/Charismatic, but Falwell, ummmmmmm, I don't think so.

One reason these names are so recognizable is because of their vast media ministries, i.e., when Swaggart confessed to moral failure in 1988, the ramifications were far reaching because of his global network of media programming. If he had been the pastor of a small church in a rural community, hardly anyone beyond that context would have heard about it. Be assured that all faith traditions, not only Pentecostals, have their share of, to use your words, "ethical issues...sexual transgressions...idiots and morons." Fortunately, the vast majority of Christian ministers with whom I am personally acquainted live ethical and moral lives. I would hope this is true of most Christian faith traditions.
Poimen
Poimen

Postby PatsFan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Poimen wrote:[quote= Oh yes.... Pat Robertson.
quote]

I recently and regretfully learned that Pat Robertson is technically part of my tradition. He's a Southern Baptist. He's in good company though. Unfortuately we have our share of idiots too.
BA, Nyack College
MAR, Eastern Nazarene College
MSW, University of Connecticut
D.Min, Ashland Theological Seminary
PatsFan

Postby Carl_Reginstein » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:06 pm

Poimen wrote:
Carl_Reginstein wrote:Evidence? Evidence????

Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart, Tammy Fae and that gay husband of hers.... and numerous other blowhards over the years..... Oh yes.... Pat Robertson.

Thanks for the humor, Carl.

Swaggart, the Bakkers and Robertson would be considered Pentecostal/Charismatic, but Falwell, ummmmmmm, I don't think so.

One reason these names are so recognizable is because of their vast media ministries, i.e., when Swaggart confessed to moral failure in 1988, the ramifications were far reaching because of his global network of media programming. If he had been the pastor of a small church in a rural community, hardly anyone beyond that context would have heard about it. Be assured that all faith traditions, not only Pentecostals, have their share of, to use your words, "ethical issues...sexual transgressions...idiots and morons." Fortunately, the vast majority of Christian ministers with whom I am personally acquainted live ethical and moral lives. I would hope this is true of most Christian faith traditions.

I wish they were all like you and Uncle Janko, my friend....
Carl_Reginstein

Postby Poimen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:06 am

PatsFan wrote:Pat Robertson...He's a Southern Baptist. He's in good company though. Unfortuately we have our share of idiots too.

Sadly, no faith tradition is exempt from the charlatans........... :oops:
Poimen
Poimen

Previous

Return to General Discussions